Saturday, May 31, 2008

75 days old

For all those who are counting, which I am sure it is just me, it has been 75 days now with Karsyn and Kennedy in the NICU. Up until recently it has gone by pretty fast but now comes the hard part. The good news is that Karsyn is now just over 5lbs, the bad news is that all she really needs to do is learn to drink from a bottle and she just doesn't want to do it. The occupational therapist says that she has what they call "nipple aversion"(I don't know if I spelled that right) which is when she doesn't like anything in her mouth because of all the trauma she has been through and when something is in her mouth she relates it to being bad. We gave her a 3 day break from trying to give her the bottle and then yesterday at 12:00 we tried again and we pretty much just let her play with the nipple and she didn't want to suck still. I am not sure when she will ever get it but hopefully soon. As for little Kennedy, she is still trying to get better from the pneumonia and in addition to that and the other bacteria they found in her nasal cavity, they just found a new bacteria that is really rare. They had to move her into isolation because they don't want any of the other babies or people get it. When we go visit her in the isolation room we have to put on gowns, masks, and gloves and we have to wash before we leave the room and then once we get out. Needless to say this is going to put her behind by who knows how long. Right now they will retest for the bacteria on Tuesday and if she is negative they will retest in 3 more days and she has to test negative 3 times in a row before she will be allowed to come out of isolation. Kurt and I are really trying to hang in there but are getting really burned out of all the bad news. We are getting pretty discouraged each time we go and are thinking that it may be time for a break, whether we actually do it, we will see! Sorry no new pictures either and I never could get the video of Karsyn to download.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Hang in there girl!! You guys are such troopers, we'll be thinking about you and praying for you!

Joe and AnnMarie said...

Wow, what a rollercoaster ride! We are thinking about you. Keep us posted.
AnnMarie

Dale and Christy said...

I can't believe 75 days. You are doing such an amazing job. You are entitled to get discouraged. I love you and think you are awesome.

Wehrle said...

Oh no! Don't feel guilty of you need a break! I can't imagine how hard this is for you! I love you and I know everything will work out! They will be home soon!

Ross and Lea said...

Chels you are in our thoughts and prayers. Remember you can call anytime. Let me know we can try to set up a time to see the baby horse. Love ya Lots