Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The last year in a nut shell...a really long nut shell, sorry!

How it all started for the girls...12 weeks before they were supposed to be here.
Their beds for the next months...you can't really tell how small they really are until you put something up to them. They were barely bigger than Kurt's hands.
A bunch of pictures taken through the glass because for the first little while we didn't touch them much because of their delicate skin.
Kennedy Ann Lindsay 1 lb 3 oz...

Karsyn Leigh 2 lb 1 oz
Daddy and Karsyn. I will probably get who is who wrong a ton but I guess nobody but Kurt will be able to second guess me, right!
Look at that little hand in my pinkie! I think this is Kennedy because of the purple stuff
We got these bunnies for the girls on Easter last year and for those of you who remember, they were barely bigger than their bunnies. Karysn always had the pink stuff because her bunny was pink and Kennedy had the purple one so when we would give her stuff it was always the purple. This was in attempt to keep stuff straight between the two!
Me, Kurt and Karsyn. There was nothing better than getting to hold both of the girls each time we went to visit...at least once we were able to!
First time holding Kennedy when they pulled her out to clean her bed. She was a big pile of cords and tubes but I still loved every minute of it because up until that point we could barely touch her.
Grandma Lindee and Karsyn. We usually got to hold them while their feedings were being pumped through the syringe that you can see in the background.
Me feeding Karsyn. Aren't the bottles so funny compared to how small they are. It is so crazy to remember how excited we would get when they would drink even 1 more cc than the last time.
They tried to keep bows in their hair!
One of the first pictures of Karsyn when she got to start wearing clothes!
Both together for the first time on Mother's Day. I told the nurses that was all I wanted for Mother's Day was to get my babies together.
Hum, is this Kennedy??? I don't know for sure! I think so, I think I remember that silly hat.
Karsyn giving Daddy a little grin
Karsyn
Kennedy
Grandpa Chuck and Karsyn
Kurt feeding Kennedy
Together again
Kennedy is mad that Karsyn gets to eat I guess
Meeting big sis Logan for the first time
The NICU staff let us sneek Logan into the unit while they were on shift change to meet her sisters. It was Logan's birthday and the girls 3 month birthday so they gave Logan and the girls a bunch of presents and cake and icecream. But best of all Logan got to hold Karsyn, Kennedy was still on her ventilator and so she wasn't able to hold her!
Kennedy's get-up (one of the many)...poor thing
Aunt G
Kurt and Karsyn
Kennedy still very sick, you can tell by the color of Kennedy's skin...yucky!
Aunt Hailey
Kennedy is in isolation for an infection
Karsyn just needs to learn to eat and she can go home...but no she is waiting for little sis
Aunt Lacey
Some of their many "friends and mommies in the NICU" aka the nurses!
Home with us now! Don't they look happy to be with their big sister.

Logan and Kennedy
Oh! If that doesn't just melt your heart. They loved to sleep on the boppy together.
These are obviously a little out of order...leaving the hospital on July 2nd 2008...107 days after birth! Karsyn went home at 6 lbs 8 oz and Kennedy was 3 lbs 14 oz.
All the gear we will have to be taking with us!
A long night rooming in at the hospital...that couch, ya, that was our bed!
Hanging out in the bouncer together
Kennedy was on oxygen and an apnea monitor until the first week of December!

Mom's favorite time of day...nap time
Blessing day...August something.

Christmas 2008
We made it through the first winter with only some sickness...boogie eyes...
Kennedy wore her reconstructive helmet for about 3 months and did great!
Karysn playing her favorite game...empty out the bucket.
Getting big
We love big sister Logan

We are both getting so big...sitting!
Capture this moment because the girls will never wear headbands or bows on their heads because I never put them on em when them were little because we didn't go anywhere and now...well I missed that boat!

My babies (sorry Kurt) I just love these little gals so much. They are so much fun, I just love seeing them interact with each other. My favorite is when they take stuff from each other, sad but very funny!
And here we are one years old!!! Don't worry girls eventually you won't be wearing newborn and 0-3 clothes...someday someday!

I know there are already a million pictures and so I will keep the writing part short. I just can't believe we made it through the first year. One year ago today was the scariest, and yet most exciting day of our family's life! I can't even begin to say how grateful I am to all the many people doctors, nurses, family and friends that helped us both keep these girls alive in their most fragile moments and also just helped us survive the day to day stuff that comes with raising micropreemie twins. I know that many times while they were fighting for their lives, they could have (and probably should have) been taken from us. I know that they are here with us for a reason and that they are loved by their Heavenly Father very much to send them here with angels surrounding them. They are the most precious little girls in the world yet have that fire inside them that helped them survive this crazy journey they have had to go through in their short little lives. Karysn and Kennedy continue to amaze me with how they are learning and growing every day. They are the light of our lives and we don't know what we would do without them. Happy Birthday girls and we are looking forward to many many more! I will update you on all the weights and stuff after their 1 year well check next week!

11 comments:

Wehrle said...

ya don't worry... I am crying as I read this!! I miss those girls so much! I love you girls! I can't believe they are one! You guys are such amazing parents and have been through so much, I hope the next year is a little less bumpy!! I love you!

thebarrusfamily said...

YAAAA! I can't believe they are freaking 1 already!! I am so happy for you. They are so sweet. I wish we lived closer so our twins could get to know each other since they did this whole micropreemie thing together. Congrats!!!

Brandon And Kimberlee said...

Happy Birthday Karsyn and Kennedy! What a year but look at you now!! How fun to look back! I am looking forward for the next year of growth and excitement! Hope you are settling well! We miss you already!

Yankeefans said...

Happy B-day girls.....WE miss you guys too!!!!

The Browns said...

Wow it seems like just yesterday I was bringing you those amazing chocolate chip cookies while you were on bed rest. I can't believe everything you have been through. It has been with such grace and I am in awe of you. I love you and am so amazed at everything. You guys are the best.
Thanks for coming over today and bringing all the treats. Oh and happy birthday girls!!!

Cortney said...

Wow Chels!!! What a year-huh? I can't beleive they are 1. They are the cutest little girls I know with the greatest mom ever!

Heather said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I can't believe they are already 1!! Crazy how time flies! They have made it through so much it's amazing! Hope they had a fun 1st birthday!

hoLLY said...

I cant believe they are ONE!!!! how fun! happy birthday cuties!!!

Kimberly said...

Chels, I must say you are the best mom. I'm completely teary eyed reading your blog and looking at all the pictures. Your girls are so cute and I'm constantly amazed at how you do it. Plus, you look so cute all the time. I wish I could come hang out with you- someday, right! I can't believe they are 1 already. Lots of love!

Dale and Christy said...

I can't believe how big they have gotten. They are so cute!! Happy Birthday!

Leisha said...

They have come such a long way...they really are little miracles!! It looks like they had a great birthday.